Several weeks ago, I discussed the high stakes litigation battle that had been going on for the past four or so years between tech giants Samsung and Apple. This blog post will serve as an update and a more in-depth exploration of this intense battle.
On the one hand, Apple’s damages expert Julie Davies explains that since Apple filed this lawsuit against Samsung requesting over $1 billion for patent infringement, Samsung has continued to infringement on Apple’s design patents, leading to their demands for roughly another $180 million in reparations.
“I have prepared this declaration to calculate the supplemental damages and prejudgment interest that Samsung owes Apple in Case No. 11-CV-01846," wrote Davies. "I summarize these amounts in Exhibit 1. As shown there, supplemental damages are $178,659,870. Prejudgment interest on the supplemental damages is $1,192,490 through the date of the hearing on Apple's motion for supplemental damages (March 24, 2016).”
On the other hand, Samsung believes that Apple is not only being overcompensated for these so-called damages, but that Apple should even be paying Samsung money in damages due to the outdatedness of the smartphone products that are being litigated over.
This case would potentially be a watershed in the history of design patent infringement. I am very curious to know how this case turns out, because it could potentially influence future litigation cases on how courts should determine such claims on design patent infringement.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIIHHTrpsE&feature=youtu.be
No comments:
Post a Comment