When I initially enrolled in this course, I was scared that this class would be packed with computer science and engineering assignments and projects that I would have found myself completely lost in. Instead, I walked in the first day to realize that this class would teach me about patent engineering through a completely different lens. Learning about patent claims, failures, litigation, infringement, obviousness and abstractness through the perspective of social media platforms was an invaluable learning experience for me.
In class, I enjoyed how each session was broken down into a specific analysis of patent characteristics. This helped me ultimately dissect the complex ideas behind patents and patent litigation, which was very overwhelming at first. This topic fits my personal needs because my father had been going through the rigorous patent process about three years ago, when he filed his US patent No. 9179718, for an ergonomic latex glove design. Last November, he received a notification that his patent had been granted. Since then, I have been exploring patents and how valuable they are as a business tool. My interests for patents eventually prompted me to search for patent related classes at Berkeley, where I enrolled in this class.
While the information learned in this class is not necessarily technical, it is extremely valuable because it is information that I would most likely never come across otherwise in the business world. As an economics major, I can definitely see myself using my knowledge about patents in my everyday work world. I would strongly recommend this course to any students who are interested in learning about the untapped power behind patents.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6f8exKT0_g&feature=youtu.be
Hi Daniel,
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting that you thought the class would have a lot of computer science and engineering assignments. I thought almost the exact opposite. I was expecting a lot of business students and business-like assignments. Turns out we were both slightly incorrect and class had a pretty even distribution across different majors!
Great summary Daniel. I chose to take this class for pretty much the same reason as you as my dad was granted a patent a few years ago which peaked my interest too. I came into this class expecting to learn about the history of patents and was pleasantly surprised to find out we would also be learning how to analyze patent claims and other useful skills.
ReplyDeleteHi Daniel,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that a lot of the information we learned will be useful in the business world. Additionally, I too enjoyed the patent analysis we did in class. It was interesting because it was fairly technical in the nature of the approach. I also agree that social media definitely added some entertainment to the course. Nice post!
Hey,
ReplyDeleteI like that you tied this in with the personal experience of your dad! I agree. I liked that this was great general knowledge information without being overwhelming on the technical side!
Hi Daniel,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad we are on the same boat. Coming from a biological science background, I was also very afraid that this course is engineering heavy and computer science heavy, but I'm glad I was wrong. Thanks for a great semester!